Wednesday, July 18, 2007

I enjoy my retreat into infantilism with Harry Potter...

But I agree with Nicholas Lezard on the Guardian's site. The writing ain't much cop.

"A nine-year-old might feel quite pleased with the writing in the Harry Potter books. It's pretty embarrassing coming from an adult," says Lezard.

The books are really gripping, but why so long? When I got to number 4 (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire) I thought this woman needs is a good editor. In the middle it meanders off into boring details about the kids' homework, chop it out I say.

I think JK Rowling has imagined all aspects of Harry's world so acutely she doesn't want to leave anything out. So someone else should do it for her. But I think the first books were so successful that her editors treated her with kid gloves for the latter books.

I applaud Lezard for taking an intelligent adult look at the Harry Potter books. Too many people have opinions about them without taking the time to read them.

2 comments:

Grill said...

If you enjoy your infantile obsession, why not print out some of these covers to hide it from others http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/pottercovers.html - just to stop the Pottermorons from coming up to you and eulogising the book.

quietlybreathing said...

Obsession is unfair! I haven't even pre-ordered a copy. It's Penny who'll be on the pavement all night.

Thanks for these.

I can't decide between Memoirs of a Shark Fucker and gosh! Fuck Wars. So much to read, so little time. A book club suggestion for next time perhaps?